SDB Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2020 - 2025
In the Summer of 2020, the Society for Developmental Biology (SDB) developed the Strategic Plan to ensure its long-term success through guided decision-making. The Strategic Plan reflects the mission and values of its membership and outlines key objectives and strategies for SDB’s organizational priorities.
Mission and Guiding Principles
SDB employs an inclusive philosophy to further the study of developmental biology and related disciplines. The Society is committed to fostering excellence in research and education by implementing initiatives and services supporting researchers, non-specialists, educators, the general public, and policymakers. The Society aims to advance its community more broadly through equitable engagements that promote fair, respectful, and ethical practices for all.
To achieve the Society’s mission, the Strategic Plan focuses on continuous improvements in the following key areas:
- Mission. Develop a clearer definition of the SDB’s mission and prioritize SDB’s overarching goals for the next five years.
- Governance and Operations. Streamline the operational efficiency of the Board of Directors.
- Professional Development and Education. Provide professional development offerings holistically and address the dynamic needs of its membership.
- Membership and Member Engagement. Grow membership through strategic recruitment and retention, thoughtful communication plan, and organizational transparency.
- Financial Stability and Revenue Diversification. Gain financial independence through financial portfolio diversification, expenditure management, revenue enhancements, and identification of new income sources.
Achieving the strategic goals and objectives outlined in the SDB Strategic Plan requires strong collaboration and clear communication between SDB leadership, staff, volunteers, and membership. Since developing the Strategic Plan, we formed committees and working groups, hired an additional staff member to help with implementation, and identified metrics to measure our efforts. During the planning process, we developed a “Scorecard” and adjustments were made to our plan through regular reviews.