What's New & in the News
NSF-funded Survey of Changing Concept of the Gene
Changes in our understanding of the structure and function of genes have occurred through the conceptís one hundred year history but have accelerated rapidly in recent years. The Representing Genes project, funded by NSF, is an interdisciplinary group of researchers examining the current status of the concept and how researchers in different fields have reconceived it to meet their particular needs. We aim to gather the views of the widest possible range of biological researchers and ask for your assistance in completing a web-based survey based on a series on intriguing cases in contemporary genomics. Please take the opportunity to be part of this project.
There is a website with this survey that will remain accessible through the fist week of June.
Although survey responses are anonymous there is an opportunity to request an information package of annotated bibliographies on the cases mentioned in the questionnaire, and to request notification of the published results in due course.
Please report any difficulties to the researchers: email@example.com
Posted May 19, 2004
- Meeting Poster for SDB 63rd Annual Meeting, July 24-28, 2004, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posted February 13, 2004
- SDB Extends Moratorium of Cloning of Human, January 2003
- The Society for Developmental Biology's Board of Directors approved the extension of the original (September 1997) Voluntary Moratorium on Cloning of Human Beings for another five years. We oppose human reproductive cloning, defined as transferring the nucleus of any human cell into any enucleated oocyte (egg without the nucleus), and implanting the resulting product for intrauterine gestation and subsequent birth.
- "Cloning Human Beings" National Bioethics Advisory Commission, 1997. Vol. 1, Vol. 2 "Scientific and Medical Aspects of Human Reproductive Cloning" National Academies Press, 2002.
- "Human Cloning and Human Dignity" The Presidentís Council on Bioethics, 2002.
- Posted February 7, 2003
- News Archives
- Note: If you have news or information you want posted, please fill out a News Item for SDB Web Site form.